Create and update product data and images with one CSV file import.
Watch our video tutorial:
Prepare CSV file
- The file should follow our formatting rules - read the last section of this article.
- It is possible to use file with any international encoding - read the last section.
You can re-format existing CSV file with your products to meet our requirements or download CSV file from Catalog Machine the in right format:
- Export template with all your fields from the import page
- Use product export to get CSV file for existing products that you can re-import after editing in an external spreadsheet program. You can include variants and collections in this CSV
Edit your CSV file with product information in Excel, Google docs , OpenOffice or other spreadsheet programs.
- Navigate to Product import page or click CSV submenu under Import
- Select target import product category (if you don't have Category field in CSV)
- Upload prepared CSV file to start import or paste CSV text from your spreadsheet program
- Ensure that the import is successful and start using your products
- The system will check for errors or data changes for confirmation.
- If the system detects new categories, fields or collections it will confirm adding them (by clicking checkbox) or they will be skipped.
Formatting Rules and Saving File
The mandatory first row contains special and product category / variants fields names for each column.
- The fields should match category field names or they will be considered as new.
- Columns for Rich Text fields ( Rich Text type in product category field) can contain plain text or basic html (css is not supported).
- You can change field types later on the category page (e.g. Rich Text, Number, Money, etc.). Read more about product categories.
B. Special Fields
- Code (optional) - a product ID column to help matching it with existing products or to create a new product if Code doesn't exist in your product database. The system will generate a new code if it is not present.
- Category (optional) - a category for the product, existing products will change to the selected category if different
Collections (optional) - comma-delimited, list of product collections in the hierarchical format (e.g. Cars / Ford / Mustang, Best Sellers / Sport)
- The product will be added to the listed collections and removed if existing collections it belongs are not listed.
- It is possible to have multiple collections fields for convenience that should start from Collections (e.g. Collections 1, Collections Car)
- Name, Rank (used for ordering products in Showroom) and Showcase (status in Showroom: 1 - show, 0 - hide) are reserved fields for any product category.
C. Image fields (Image type in product category field) support three source formats:
- Relative path - for already uploaded images (folder / image name) in Catalog Machine storage - e.g. Products/123.png
- Absolute url - any public web address of the image (starting with http:// or https://) - e.g. http://mysite/com/images/product.png. Catalog Machine will download and add these images to the storage.
- Data url - encoded image content in the string (starting from data:image/jpeg;base64,/) - e.g. data:image/png; base64,/9j/4AAQSkZ... You can use Catalog Machine export or tools like https://dopiaza.org/tools/datauri to generate Data url
You can import images from any public web address, but some require link modification (e.g. Google Drive, Dropbox). Read more about importing from websites, Google Drive, Dropbox.
You cannot import images from your desktop in CSV import, but can mass import with Image Manager and use them as relative links after.
Save the file in CSV format
- Excel (save in Unicode format to support non-Latin characters):
- Google Drive:
Read more about Asian characters import and use.
Alternatively, you can copy cells from your spreadsheet program and paste as a text on the import step.